Spanish (espaņol) or Castilian (castellano) is an Iberian Romance language. It was spoken by roughly 364 million people in the year 2000. Current estimation accounts up to 500 million, making Spanish the most widely spoken and the most widely studied Romance language.
Reasons To Learn
- Spanish is the world’s 3rd most spoken language, after Chinese and English, and ranks 2nd in terms of native speakers.
- Spanish is the second most used language in international communication, and an official language of the UN and its organizations.
- Spanish is the mother tongue of approximately 350 million people in 21 countries, and is widely spoken in another 21 countries where it is not an official language.
- Hispanic consumers are the fastest-growing market segment in North America. Their population in the USA has grown by 60% in just one decade and their buying power is expected to exceed $926 million by 2007.
- Newly created Mercosur and the existing free trade agreements between South American nations and North America (ALADI, CACM, NAFTA, and G3) are expected to bring further growth to Latin American economies.
- To help you develop better critical thinking skills – being bilingual means seeing the world through more than one sense; a skill that can help you in many areas.
- It is perfectly possible to visit Mexico, Spain and even Ecuatorial Guinea without speaking a word of Spanish. But it isn’t nearly half as much fun.
- Because Spanish will bring new sensations and maybe even some added happiness into your life – try learning with a friend or loved one!
- You can learn how to dance salsa, merengue, tango and other latin music and the best of all is that you will feel the rhithym if you understand the lyrics.
- You will be able to read a book from famous writers like Garcia Marquez, Isabel Allende, Vargas LLosa, Cervantes, the poems of Pablo Neruda, Gabriela Mistral and more.